Thursday, April 4, 2013

How NOT to Communicate in Second Life

Inside the Gingerbread House

So, I think I mentioned this before, but whenever I blog someone's creations, I sent them a notecard with a link to the blog post. It's a pretty simple notecard, which says:
I just wanted to let you know that I featured your store on my blog in the post address below.

[link to blog]

Thanks so much for your beautiful creations! Please keep up the wonderful work.

Sincerely,

Deoridhe Quandry

I honestly never thought of this as difficult to comprehend until yesterday, when... well, the following showed up in my Offline IM record. [Edited to clarify: The creator's first language is clearly English since all of the releases and communications come solely in fluent English.]
[2013/04/03 19:34] [Illiterate Creator]: (Saved Wed Apr 03 04:36:03 2013)Hi there :) I am terribly sorry but I don't work with bloggers. Thank you kindly for the interest however. I wish you the best of luck and have a wonderful day!

I thought there must have been some kind of communication error, so I clarified, also in IM.
[2013/04/03 19:36] Deoridhe Quandry: Um, I was just letting you know I blogged your work, not expecting anything, but I shall try to remember to not send you a notice the next time I feature your products if you would prefer.
[2013/04/03 19:36] Second Life: User not online - message will be stored and delivered later.

 Imagine my surprise when I log on today to the following:
[21:31] [Illiterate Creator]: (Saved Thu Apr 04 06:15:02 2013)Hi there :) I am terribly sorry but I don't work with bloggers. Thank you kindly for the interest however. I wish you the best of luck and have a wonderful day!
Clearly, I'm not dealing with a person... I'm dealing with an avatar answering machine. Equally clearly, someone doesn't want to be blogged ever! Lesson learned!

You Make Me Spin Right Round, Right Round

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, sounds more like Babylonian confusion. Some creators are scared when they get an English note.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You think we ended up on the tower of Babble? Hee hee. I will clarify that the creator's first language is English; if it wasn't, I'd've assumed a language confusion as the cause and never blogged this, but all of the creator's ads, releases, etc... are solely in English. I regularly send the notecard to non-English speaking creators and often get messages back from them which indicates that the notecard at least goes into Google Translate all right!

    ReplyDelete