Monday, September 23, 2013

Monday Meme: It’s My Birthday!

Happy Birthday Berry

For her birthday, Strawberry gave us all a gift - the gift of a new birthday meme (two, actually - one is a short set of questions, and the other is the fun of decorating her).
  1. When is your birthday? – February 29th, which makes me a Pisces.

  2. Pick one person who shares your birthday and share what you know about them. – Sir James Wilson (1812–1880) was born and died on February 29. He was born in Scotland and ended up being Premier of Tasmania under the British Empire. 

  3. List one notable event that took place on your birthday. – Since it's so rare, not much occurs on my birthday. On the list of events, the one which stood out for me was the fact that Hattie McDaniel became the first African American to win an Academy Award for her role as Mammy in Gone with the Wind. May many Academy Awards follow for people who aren't white; dear gods we whites hog honors and awards.

  4. Tell us about a holiday that falls on your birthday. – My birthday is Leap Day, which means it only exists every four years. It's a way of resetting the calender to account for the fact that the amount of time it takes us to go around the sun isn't quite 365 days. On most century years, except 2000, it's skipped because it's not quite an extra day every year. I have actually gotten into an argument with someone about whether my birthday was March 1st the other three years - so I'm here to officially say that it literally doesn't exist.

3 comments:

  1. Do you celebrate your birthday in non-leap years? I have a friend who was born on February 29 and he chooses to celebrate it on March 1st in non-leap years. Anyway, he used to; now that he's a bit older he prefers to only age once every four year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGOODNESS! You are the first person I've ever known that has a leap day birthday. And thank you sooo much, I love the pic, butterflies are perfect for me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peep, I celebrate my birthday on the closest weekend when I don't have a birthday in that year. It's become a lot less important over the years, though, I have to admit. I try to always take off on my birthday, though, and I love throwing parties for it though my parties usually suck.

    Strawberry, I'm so glad you like it. 8D

    ReplyDelete